Tuesday, January 19, 2010

May I Say, "Moo"?

Have you ever felt like a cow???? Some people put on their clothes, look in the mirror, and see their reflection only to think that they look like a fat cow. I may sometimes look like a cow, but only in motherhood have I felt like a milk cow at a dairy farm! Once you breastfeed, you may feel that way too.

I remember being home with Andrew the first month and a half and he wanted to eat every hour or two. At first it was very frustrating; he wouldn't latch correctly, and he wouldn't allow me to sleep for three hours straight. Instead, he would play around with my nipple which would turn into a messy situation. I know, TMI!

Not only was I was exhausted, but neither he nor I knew what we were doing. I wasn't comfortable. I wasn't sure how to hold him. I think he even brought me to tears once or twice. My husband wanted to help, but there was not much he could do since he didn't produce milk. Why do women volunteer to do this whole cow thing?

I wanted to do what was best for my baby, and what was best was breastfeeding. I stuck to my guns and continued feeling milked dry.

On December 30th, Andrew let me sleep for almost five hours straight. The next night was the same. Some nights he let me sleep six and a half hours straight.

All of a sudden, I was a whole new Beth! I loved this breastfeeding thing. He was getting it; I was getting it. It was becoming more comfortable, maybe even beautiful.

Now, I understand this breastfeeding phenomena. I feel totally close to my baby. When I leave him to go to a movie, I rush back home before the credits scroll down the screen; not out of obligation, but because I want to see him. I don't want to be without him. I think breastfeeding has connected us more deeply than feeding him formula from a bottle. I'm proud to be a cow!

No comments:

Post a Comment